One must know the proper way to take care of their dress shirt in order to make it last longer and look crisp. Keeping it in good condition will ensure that you are well groomed whenever you wear it and it will also project your personality. Make sure to treat the shirt properly according to the instruction that is given at the label of the shirt. Always read the label for the instructions on how to wash and iron the shirt to make it last longer. Following are some of the tips to on how to care for men's dress shirt:
1) It is best to wash your dress shirt with your hand instead of machine wash. However, if you must then, wash it in lukewarm water to preserve the color of the fabric and in mild /gentle cycle.
2) Do not dry clean or dry wash it as, in most of the cases, the chemical may either spoil the fabric or the shirt may turn yellowish. So even if you have to give the shirts for dry cleaning tell them to get laundered instead.
3) To avoid color lifting or color runs, separate the shirts while washing. Wash the white shirts separately; use a bleach to make it whiter. Wash light colored clothes separately and the dark colored ones separately.
4) When you use cologne or an anti-perspirant spray, spray it directly on your skin rather than on the shirt as it could stain it. When the cologne has dried then only put on the shirt.
5) Do not starch your shirt while ironing as it would weaken the cotton fibers. Instead look for the highest thread count when buying a cotton dress shirt.
6) Before you start to iron your shirt, look out for any stains on the shirt. If you happen to iron the shirt with the stains then it will set the stain to the fabric. So remove the ink stains if there are any with an ink remover or by using a home remedy.
7) Make sure to iron the shirt when it is still damp. This will make it easy to remove the wrinkles from the shirt. If you have a good steam iron then this would not be necessary.
8) If the shirt is exceptionally wrinkled then make sure you sprinkle some more water on it so that it is easier to straighten it out.
9) Always check your dress shirt for loose threads and buttons if you don’t want to get embarrassed and do not wish to get caught in the nuisance.
10) Always hang your well-ironed dress shirt by hanging it on a hanger.
And yes one of the most important things is, do not straight away wear the dress shirt after buying it. Make sure to wash it once otherwise it will be too stiff and also there could be some chemicals still left in the fabric which could react with your skin. Also if you want to store your shirt from season to season then before you finally prepare it to store, make sure you have washed it properly and pack it in a plastic bag to keep it away from sunlight, insects and odors.
After reading on how to care for mens dress shirt, you should also know tips on how to choose mens right dress shirt.
And yes, do not forget to leave your comments, as this helps us to make our services better for you!