Controlling TV viewing by kids has become important as it is one of the most favorite past time for them. With hundreds of channels being telecast, it is making your child a couch potato leading to a sedentary lifestyle. As such watching TV is not the only sedentary behavior, there are also others such as using computer and reading. All these are categorized under inactive pastimes. According to researchers, among all the inactive pastimes, TV viewing is the worst. It might not only instill negative behavior in the children but will also make the children overweight.
Also regardless of whether a child is overweight or healthy, TV viewing also increases the risk of high blood pressure. In addition to causing health and behavioral problems in kids, TV viewing also causes social and academic problems. Following are some of the ways through which you can control TV viewing by kids:
1) Well organize the schedule of your child. Fix a proper time for your children for watching TV. Set clear guidelines for your child to follow and make him understand the exact time allotted to him.
2) Do not allow your child to own his own television. For placing TV in his own room will disrupt his sleeping hours and could lead to insomnia. Also the shows that are aired late night are inappropriate for the children to watch.
3) Give ideas to your child to record the show and watch it within the stipulated time. This will also cut down the time that is being spent on watching TV as you can fast-forward the commercials.
4) Move the television to some other location where it looks less appealing. Or you can also make the TV room less comfortable because most of the people like to watch TV in a comfortable position.
5) There are also a number of devices which can be easily installed in the TV which will monitor the length of time the child spends time in front of a TV. If the time exceeds the stipulated time then the TV shuts down on its own.
Apart from these tips, let other members of your family know the limits that you have set for your children. This will make your children understand that the rules must be followed consistently. And yes, you as a parent must practice what you preach if you want your children to respect your decisions.
how to help kids gain control over their emotions
how to raise a polite and gentle child
how to get your kids to eat