Parenting a 6-year old or a 16-year old is quite difficult. It calls in for a lot of patience and matured behavior on the parents' part to inculcate healthy behavior in their children. As they tend to grow older, it is quite natural for your kids to become quieter who once use to be a chatterbox. It is one such phase where transition takes place and the children gain a level of maturity in them. So, do not be desolated, as it leads them in becoming well-adjusted adults.
Also this is one such phase in your children’s life where they might turn to a brat if you are not tactful of how you treat them. A wrong impression on them at such a phase will last a lifetime.
Read how to handle when your teen hates you.
So, it is very important for the parents to remain alert about their behavior towards their children and how they present themselves before them as they serve as a role model to their children. Parenting is no longer as easy as it used to be. Adopting the traditional techniques of parenting is no longer applicable to the present generation. It will only result in frustration, despair and stress. So here we have listed down the top 10 parenting tips to ease you from the difficult situation you are in:
1) Treat your children the way you want your children to treat you. Present yourself as a role model before them by not doing anything which you would not want them to do.
2) Avoid shouting, yelling etc. at your children. Even when things go out of control instead of nagging and shouting, control yourself and talk calmly to them to make them understand why things are that way.
3) Appreciate and encourage your children when they say or do something good. This way they will be encouraged to practice good behavior. However, do not make your praise sound phoney. Children can make that out quite easily.
4) Avoid doing things for your children. Let them do their things on their own. This will teach them all about self reliance that is a vital key to self esteem.
5) Play along with your children. It has been said that a family that plays together remains together throughout.
6) Learn to give room and space to your child to grow up. Remember all of us learn through our mistakes. Let them also learn through their mistakes. Be compassionate and understanding towards them.
7) Be very firm as far as discipline is concerned. If you are easy with it, then you risk yourself of raising a brat.
8) Do not always give in to the wants of your children. This makes them develop the attitude that they get want they want, if they continue to nag. So it is always better to explain things to the children and make them understand.
9) Listen attentively when they talk to you. Let them know that you are interested in everything they do. However, do not nitpick with your children. Learn to overlook things that hardly make any difference.
10) Be honest and truthful while talking to your children. Also, practice what you preach as a parent. These days the, ‘Do as I say’ ideology no longer sells. It is a wise decision to follow the ‘Do as I do' ideology.
Equip yourself with these top 10 parenting tips and master the art of good parenting although it will surely take some time. These ultimate parenting tips are based on common sense that yields effective and uncommon results.
how to find time to teach your children
helping your children deal with anger
children learn eating habits by watching their parents